‘Kicked out of a home’: Hawks forced out of Tasmania
Roger Vaughan and Shayne Hope |
Coach Sam Mitchell feels the AFL’s decision to end Hawthorn’s long-running Tasmania deal is like being kicked out of home.
The Hawks lobbied hard for their 25-year agreement to continue beyond the Tasmania Devils becoming the 19th team in 2028, arguing the two teams could co-exist.
But Mitchell and president Andy Gowers fronted the media on Tuesday morning, hours after the league had broken the bad news.
“You know the people at the coffee shop, the hotels and you go on the same sorts of walks … it feels like we’re being kicked out of a home,” Mitchell said.
“I understand I guess from the AFL’s perspective … (but) enormously disappointed.”
Gowers said the success of Hawthorn’s Tasmanian deal had been unprecedented in the AFL.
“It makes sense to the AFL, it’s what they have decided,” he said.
“There’s no other partnership that’s been like this in the AFL.
“We’ve never seen a partnership of this length in another state before, have this kind of success.
“Today is a moment in history. Disappointed … but we think we can be stronger as a result.”

Gowers added they would lobby for their four Launceston games to be moved to the MCG.
He also said they would speak to the AFL about financial compensation, given the hit it will mean to their bottom line.
Hawthorn also have built a massive home-ground advantage in the northern Tasmanian city.
“Obviously we love playing there, we feel like we do have an advantage,” said Mitchell, who also played in Launceston.
“I assume some of them (games) at least will be taken back to the MCG. We’re pretty comfortable playing there.”
The Hawks have played ‘home’ games in Launceston since 2001 in a lucrative deal with the state government.
But the AFL on Tuesday confirmed Hawthorn will “transition out” of Tasmania after next season, paving the way for the Devils to be the “primary focus” for football in the state.
“Hawthorn Football Club is extremely disappointed in the AFL’s decision to force an end to our relationship with Launceston and Northern Tasmania post 2027,” the Hawks said in a statement.
The AFL noted Hawthorn and Tasmania have shared a “long and successful partnership over many years” but believes the Devils need space to thrive in their home state.
“The AFL acknowledges and thanks Hawthorn for its outstanding contribution to footy in Tasmania, and for the role it has played in growing the game and building connection with the Tasmanian and Launceston communities,” AFL chief operating officer Tom Harley said.
“With the Tasmania Devils entering the AFL competition in 2028, it is appropriate that the Devils become the primary focus for football in the state, giving Tasmanians their own team to support on the national stage.”

Hawthorn will play the second of four games in Launceston this year when they host Adelaide at UTAS Stadium on Thursday night.
The Hawks will play further home games at the venue formerly known as York Park in 2027.
Hawthorn have a remarkable 76 per cent winning record in Launceston, including 66 victories in 87 appearances, plus a draw with GWS in 2017.
Mitchell’s team are currently on an 11-match winning streak at the venue and unbeaten there in more than three years.
North Melbourne had a similar deal with Tasmania in Hobart before it ended in 2025.
AAP