Last updated: 18 January 2022
The Queenslander is committed to providing quality services to you and this policy outlines our ongoing obligations to you in respect of how we manage your Personal Information.
In the course of carrying out our activities, including providing our services, The Queenslander, and our related bodies corporate and subsidiaries (together, we, us or our), will collect, store, use and disclose personal information.
Personal information and/or personal data (the terms commonly used in applicable privacy laws), is information or an opinion about an identified or reasonably identifiable individual, whether or not the information or opinion is true and whether or not the information is recorded in a material form.
Types of personal information we collect and hold
We collect and hold personal information about individuals for the provision of our services (including our website(s) and other platforms as applicable) (our services) and purposes connected to those services.
Consistent with the provision of our services, the types of personal information we may collect and hold includes the following.
- Identity and contact details – including individuals’ names, addresses, email addresses, phone number, postcode and other identifying and contact information.
- Other information – text of written and oral communications gathered in the course of our interactions with you, including other information from your interactions with us online, such as through any emails you send us, when you submit a story or tip, feedback you provide us and/or comments you make on or within our website(s) and platforms, cookie information and web beacons (and other similar technologies), IP address, URLs, search histories and other associated information.
If you don’t provide us with personal information, we are unlikely to be able to provide you with our services.
How we collect and hold personal information
We may collect personal information directly from you in the course of providing our services, from our website(s) and other online platforms, and/or through cookies (data files placed on your device or computer).
From time to time, we may collect personal information about you indirectly, such as from our associates, subsidiaries, affiliates and/or related bodies corporate, individuals, third parties (including third party data vendors) or publicly available sources.
Personal information is held securely and only for as long as the information remains relevant to the purpose for which it was collected, and in accordance with our business needs and legal requirements.
Purposes for which we hold, use and disclose personal information
We will not use or disclose personal information for any secondary purpose, unless that secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose for which we have collected that information, and you would reasonably expect the disclosure in the circumstances, or unless you consent to that use or disclosure.
The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose information may include:
- to conduct our business, which includes providing our services to you;
- where you have consented, if such consent is required by law, to:
- communicate information about our services or third-party products and services that may be of interest to you; and
- provide you with information or advertising relating to our services (including serving and targeting advertisements) or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you;
- to respond to your story submissions, tips, queries or comments, including those made by email;
- to improve and optimise our services, website(s) and platforms;
- for our internal administrative, research, planning and marketing purposes; and
- to comply with legal obligations;
- where a situation requires us to do so in order to lessen or prevent a threat to the life, health or safety of any individual; and/or
- if there is a change of control in our business or a sale or transfer of business assets, we reserve the right to transfer to the extent permissible at law our user databases, together with any personal information and non-personal information contained in those databases (this information may be disclosed to a potential purchaser under an agreement to maintain confidentiality and we would seek to only disclose information in good faith and where required by any of the above circumstances).
- where you have consented, if such consent is required by law, to:
We may also disclose personal information to our associates, subsidiaries, affiliates and related bodies corporate, and also to third party service providers (including technology and marketing service providers and search engines and social media platforms) for purposes in connection with the provision of our services and the purposes set out above.
Advertising and analytics services provided by others
Third Party Links
Our website(s) may contain links to other websites from time to time. Please note that we do not control, and are not responsible for, the content or practices of these other websites. Our provision of any third-party links does not constitute our endorsement of these other websites, their content, their owners, or their practices. This policy does not apply to any third-party websites, which are subject to any privacy and other policies they may have.
Security of personal information
Your personal information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. When your personal information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your personal information.
Access and correction
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure any personal data we collect, use or disclose is up to date and accurate. If you believe personal information that we hold about you is not up to date or accurate, you may ask us to correct it.
You may ask us to provide you with details of the personal information we hold about you, and copies of that information. We will respond to your request and attempt to provide you with the data within 30 days of receipt of your request.
If we provide you with copies of the information you have requested, to the extent permitted by law, we may charge you a reasonable fee to cover the administrative costs of providing you with that information.
Please direct all request for access and correction to [email protected].
If you consider a breach of the Privacy Act 1988(Cth) has occurred, you may direct your query to our privacy officer using the details set out in the contacting us section below and we will attempt to resolve your complaint.
If you do not consider our response satisfactory, you may contact the Australian Privacy Commissioner at its website www.oaic.gov.au or by telephone on 1300 363 992.