Perfect Storm: coach reveals ideal succession plan
Scott Bailey |
Craig Bellamy has declared Melbourne’s next coach should come from within, believing one of his assistants should eventually replace him at the Storm.
Billy Slater’s decision to stand down as Queensland State of Origin coach has flung the spotlight on Melbourne, with Bellamy expected to finish up next year.
Slater has said he does not currently want to pursue a head-coaching role in the NRL, while Storm officials have indicated they will sound him out to see his interest.
The Melbourne great currently works as a part-time specialist coach at the club and has been widely mooted as an option to one day replace Bellamy.

Bellamy admitted on Wednesday he had been surprised by Slater’s Queensland resignation and believed the fullback would do a “great job” if he ever took over the Storm.
But he is likely to tell Melbourne officials one of his long-time assistants should be given the chance, with Marc Brentnall, Ryan Hinchcliffe and Bellamy’s son Aaron on staff.
“I would like to see the next head coach come from our club because I think they can handle it,” Bellamy said.
“It will be up to the hierarchy to decide that. I would imagine they will ask my opinion.
“There are three or four candidates who could handle it and I would like to see the club go that way. But the final decision won’t be mine.”
Replacing Bellamy looms as one of the biggest jobs in rugby league, given he will next year surpass Wayne Bennett’s record of 631 games coached at one club.

Bellamy has handed over some responsibilities in recent years, with Brentnall, Hinchcliffe and Aaron Bellamy now running most training sessions.
Players also break into specialist groups at halftime in matches, before Aaron first speaks to the players as a whole and Craig delivers his final words.
Melbourne remain a mathematical chance of playing finals this year, but would need to win their last three matches and have a string of results go their way.
The band is also slowly coming back together, with Harry Grant on track to return after Cameron Munster’s comeback against Manly.
But Bellamy said on Wednesday he believed Thursday night’s opponents Penrith were the premiership frontrunners, even after dropping five of their past eight.

“I think they probably are the team to beat with the experiences they have had,” Bellamy said.
“Knowing what they have done over the past few years, the young guys coming in they pick up that experience.
“You get used to winning or get used to losing. And Penrith have got used to winning over the past five or six years.
“(Isaah) Yeo is a big loss for them. But hopefully for them he will be back for finals.”
The Storm meantime confirmed on Wednesday that Swedish investment firm EQT had bought a majority share in the club and Matt Tripp will remain the club’s chair.
AAP