A-Leagues move forward as United ponder options
Anna Harrington |

The Australian Professional Leagues (APL) will kick on with preparations for the upcoming A-Leagues seasons with or without Western United after the embattled club was officially declared insolvent.
United’s hierarchy were on Friday considering their options to appeal the decision by the Federal Court to wind up the club’s ownership group.
Lawyers for the club had sought a four-week adjournment to proceedings, claiming they had found a fresh $15 million investment to pay off their debts, but it was dismissed on Friday afternoon.
The APL, which runs the A-Leagues, confirmed it will address immediate implications for the upcoming seasons, while concurrently commencing a broader process to review the best options for the league structure moving forward.
Without United, who were stripped of their A-Leagues licence earlier this month, the A-League Men (ALM) would drop back to 12 teams while the A-League Women (ALW) would reduce to 11.

“We are extremely disappointed to learn that WMG Football Club Limited, the company which owns and operates Western United Football Club, has been placed into liquidation,” APL executive chairman Stephen Conroy said in a statement.
“This is a difficult time for all of the fans, staff, players and coaches of Western United, and we acknowledge their hard work and commitment to the club through challenging circumstances over the last six years.
“We will now work with the Liquidator, PFA and Wyndham City Council, to ensure the impacted staff, players and coaches at the club have access to the support they need at this difficult time.”
The United saga has left players and staff, who were together when Friday’s decision was handed down, in limbo and other clubs unable to plan for the season or launch membership drives, given the lack of fixtures.
It is understood the league has draft fixtures, both with and without United, prepared.
The fixtures are set to be released the week starting September 8, with the A-League Men (ALM) kicking off on October 17 and the A-League Women two weeks later.
“While this is tough news, we remain steadfast in our commitment to continue the sustained growth across our leagues, and our planning is ongoing to ensure another strong and successful A-Leagues season,” Conroy said.
“Alongside our support for everyone involved with Western United, the team has been working on a revised fixture for the A-League Men and A-League Women.
“We will announce both our men’s and women’s fixtures in the next two weeks to allow all fans and clubs to continue their build up to season 25-26.”

Facing a tax bill amid concerns over unpaid wages and superannuation – and while under a FIFA registration ban – Western were stripped of their A-League licence by Football Australia (FA) earlier this month.
United had planned to fight FA’s determination with a hearing due to take place on September 2 – though that now appears unlikely to take place.
FA’s move followed continued delays to a takeover deal with American-based investors KAM.
KAM ultimately withdrew their bid for Western on Wednesday following FA’s decision to revoke the Tarneit-based club’s licence, in a hammer blow to their hopes of survival.
United were announced as an expansion club in 2018 and joined the A-League Men (ALM), ahead of the 2019-20 season.
Under John Aloisi, they won the ALM championship in 2021-22, while they joined the ALW in 2022-23.
AAP