Be respectful: NRL stars warned after Latrell interview

Jasper Bruce |

Latrell Mitchell raised eyebrows with his comments after Souths were beaten by Brisbane.
Latrell Mitchell raised eyebrows with his comments after Souths were beaten by Brisbane.

NRL players have been reminded of their responsibilities while speaking to the media, after Latrell Mitchell raised eyebrows with an expletive-laden post-match radio interview.

But the sport’s governing body is unlikely to sanction the South Sydney fullback, who said “f***” four times during a live interview following the Rabbitohs’ loss to Brisbane on Thursday night.

“Honestly f***, it was s***, the first bit, it was a hard game, f***,” Mitchell said on Triple M after the Broncos’ 28-18 win.

“Honestly (the Broncos) are big boys, they’re competitors, you wonder why they came runners-up last year, so f***, we can build on that.

“I don’t care if I’m swearing, boys, honestly.”

Mitchell swore a final time as he discussed scoring his 100th career try in the match.

Few NRL stars attract as much public attention as the barnstorming Mitchell, whose comments have been the subject of media scrutiny since the loss.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo told AAP on Saturday it was important players recognised that their status as role models extended to their media comments.

“We encourage players to be themselves and be authentic,” Abdo said in a statement.

“However, they also know they are professionals and role models which means setting an example.

“When speaking to fans via media interviews, we have a responsibility to be respectful.”

AAP understands the NRL has examined the remarks and the matter is unlikely to be escalated further.

AAP