Postponement leaves ALW Roar frustrated

Ed Jackson |

Desperate to restore pride after their 8-2 hammering by Adelaide United, Brisbane Roar will instead stew over the result for a few more days after Friday’s A-League Women clash with Canberra United was called off.

A thunderstorm in Brisbane approximately an hour before the scheduled 6.45pm (1945 AEDT) kick-off dumped heavy rain on the playing surface at Perry Park, leaving the pitch waterlogged.

Despite the storm clearing, large puddles on one half of the ground refused to drain away and match officials called off the fixture shortly afterwards due to an “unsafe playing surface”.

The decision left Roar coach Garrath McPherson doubly frustrated after spending the past week preparing his team to bounce back from their humiliating loss to the Reds.

“On a personal note, it sucks,” McPherson told AAP.

“We’ve been talking about it all week, the uncharacteristic performance … we’ve unpacked absolutely everything that went on prior to that game against Adelaide just to make sure that it doesn’t happen again.

“The fans deserve better, the community deserves better. That’s not Brisbane Roar.”

The postponement is the second ALW contest in 24 hours to be affected by weather, after an electrical storm forced the postponement of Thursday’s clash between Wellington and Adelaide United at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

That game was played on Friday afternoon, with the Reds securing a 4-1 win over the Phoenix.

The Roar’s game with Canberra will have to wait however, with a date after round 14 most likely given United have to face Melbourne Victory on Tuesday.

Brisbane’s next match is a trip to face high-flying Melbourne City next Thursday.

“Now it’s just that kind of thing, you’re at an all-time low,” the Roar coach said.

“We’ll have to wait until Thursday in Melbourne and go out there and belt Melbourne City.”

The postponement may also give Roar goalkeeper Mia Bailey extra time to recover from a corked thigh she suffered in the Reds’ defeat.

Bailey was taken to hospital amid fears she’d broken her leg but X-rays cleared her although the 17-year-old wouldn’t have faced Canberra with Isabella Shuttleworth set to make her starting debut.

“I’m sure Bella’s sitting in there right now kicking water bottles,” McPherson said.

“Mia might be OK … she might be a chance for Thursday night.”