Murder charges laid after woman killed in shooting

Fraser Barton |

A 31-year-old man has been charged with murder following a shooting in north Queensland.
A 31-year-old man has been charged with murder following a shooting in north Queensland.

A man has been charged with murder and attempted murder after allegedly shooting a woman dead and injuring another man in north Queensland. 

Police have charged a 31-year-old South Mackay man after an emergency declaration and manhunt unfolded on Wednesday.

The man was arrested outside a service station hours after police were called to a Robb Place address. Multiple streets were locked down after an emergency declaration by authorities. 

Police allege the man who was armed with a firearm approached a 34-year-old woman who had been sitting in a vehicle parked outside the address before shooting her.

The woman suffered critical injuries and died at the scene. 

Two teenagers who were inside the vehicle fled the scene and were not physically harmed, police said.

A 66-year-old man and nearby resident came to the woman’s aid, approaching the 31-year-old man, before he was shot and suffered injuries to his hand and sternum.

The injured man remains in the Mackay Base Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

District Superintendent Graeme Paine said the incident was a shocking situation for the teens to experience.

“They obviously were very fearful and they’ve gone and sought help and that help was provided and unfortunately that male, who also provided help, has been injured, so an absolutely tragic situation,” Supt Paine said.

The 31-year-old man is due to appear in the Mackay Magistrates Court later on Thursday.

AAP