Two people charged after ‘disgusting’ ambulance attack

Laine Clark |

Paramedics said they feared for their safety during the alleged on-road incident.
Paramedics said they feared for their safety during the alleged on-road incident.

Paramedics have claimed a weapon was pointed at them by occupants of a stolen car after their ambulance was targeted in a “disgusting” attack.

Two people have been charged after claims a stolen car repeatedly swerved at a Queensland ambulance, prompting paramedics to abandon a “code one” job and flee to police.

Queensland Ambulance Service Assistant Commissioner Tony Armstrong said paramedics were responding to a call when they saw a Toyota Kluger driving dangerously at Capalaba, south of Brisbane, on Wednesday night.

“Specifically, swerving towards them and trying to race them,” he told reporters.

Paramedics also saw what they believed to be a laser and a weapon pointed at them by the car’s occupants, he said.

“They obviously had a genuine fear for their safety,” Mr Armstrong said.

Deputy Police Commissioner Shane Chelepy
Deputy Police Commissioner Shane Chelepy says there is no tolerance for the alleged behaviour. (Jono Searle/AAP PHOTOS)

“As a result of that, they diverted from the case that they were responding to and then went to the closest police station for assistance.”

The paramedics were not injured.

“But as you can appreciate an incident like this has left them quite shaken,” Mr Armstrong said.

“This alleged act of aggression towards our staff simply can’t be tolerated – it’s disgusting.

“Not only has it placed our staff safety at risk but also the safety of the community in general.”

Mr Armstrong said the paramedics had been responding to a code one job after an elderly woman collapsed and was unconscious.

He said another ambulance had to be sent but there was “no negative detriment” to the elderly patient.

Queensland Police Deputy Commissioner Shane Chelepy said officers responded immediately after paramedics alerted them at the Capalaba station.

The Toyota – allegedly stolen from a Woodridge address – was later seen parked at Rochedale South and a woman in the vehicle was taken into custody by police.

After more patrols, officers located nearby a man who they allege was the driver.

“There’s no tolerance for that. We won’t put up with that behaviour,” Mr Chelepy said of the alleged incident.

The 34-year-old man has been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, unlicensed driving, injuring a police dog, obstructing police, unlawful use of a motor vehicle and using false plates.

He was refused police bail and is set to appear in Beenleigh Magistrates Court on Thursday.

The 29-year-old woman has been charged with unlawful use of a motor vehicle and will appear in court on March 27.

“I understand the ambulance officers are doing fine, but this is absolutely shocking,” Health Minister Shannon Fentiman said of the alleged attack.

“We do need to make sure our paramedics can do their job.”

AAP