Death toll rises after blast at Pakistan coalmine

|

At least 18 miners have been killed and dozens trapped after a blast at a coal mine in Pakistan.
At least 18 miners have been killed and dozens trapped after a blast at a coal mine in Pakistan.

A methane gas explosion at a coalmine in southwestern Pakistan has killed 34 miners, authorities say, despite an overnight rescue attempt.

Rescuers recovered 32 bodies from the mine on the outskirts of Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province, and were working to retrieve the remaining two, the Provincial Disaster Management Authority said on Friday. 

Mine inspector Ghani Baloch said authorities initially believed 42 people had been inside the mine when the explosion occurred on Thursday.

Preparations for a rescue at a coalmine outside Quetta, Pakistan
People waited on Friday as rescue workers prepared to search the coalmine. (AP PHOTO)

Balochistan’s mining minister, Shoaib Nosherwani, expressed condolences to the victims’ families and announced compensation of 500,000 Pakistani rupees ($A2560) for the family of each victim. 

He said authorities would investigate the cause of the explosion and review safety measures at coal mines across the province.

Deadly accidents are common in Pakistan’s coalmining industry, particularly in Balochistan, where many mines lack adequate ventilation, gas-monitoring systems and other basic safety measures. 

Despite the dangers and low wages, thousands of workers rely on coal mining for their livelihoods in Balochistan, Pakistan’s largest but least-developed province, where poverty and unemployment remain widespread.

AP