Israeli intelligence chief resigns over Oct 7 attack

|

Hamas’ October 7 attack on Israel is said to have killed 1200 people, mostly civilians.
Hamas’ October 7 attack on Israel is said to have killed 1200 people, mostly civilians.

The head of the Israeli military’s intelligence corps has resigned over failures surrounding Hamas’ unprecedented October 7 attack, which broke through Israel’s defences.

Major General Aharon Haliva becomes the first senior Israeli figure to step down over Hamas’ attack, which killed 1200 people, mostly civilians, with roughly 250 more taken captive, and sparked the six-month-long war against Hamas in Gaza. 

Haliva said shortly after the attack in October that he shouldered the blame for not preventing the assault.

Aharon Haliva
Aharon Haliva is the first senior figure to step down over his role in the October 7 attack. (AP PHOTO)

“The intelligence directorate under my command did not live up to the task we were entrusted with,” Haliva wrote in his resignation letter, which was provided by the Israeli military on Monday. 

“I carry that black day with me ever since, day after day, night after night. I will carry the horrible pain of the war with me forever.” 

The Israeli military said in a statement Haliva had asked to end his service “following his leadership responsibility”. 

The military added the military chief of staff accepted Haliva’s request to resign and thanked him for his service.

His resignation could set the stage for more of Israel’s top security brass to accept blame for not preventing the attack and step down.

Earlier, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he will fight sanctions being imposed on any Israeli military units for alleged rights violations, after media reports said Washington was planning such a step.

Axios news site on Saturday reported Washington was planning to impose sanctions on Israel’s Netzah Yehuda battalion, which has operated in the occupied West Bank, though the Israeli military said it was not aware of any such measures.

On Friday, the United States announced a series of sanctions linked to Israeli settlers in the West Bank, in the latest sign of growing US frustration with the policies of Netanyahu, whose coalition government relies on settler parties.

“If anyone thinks they can impose sanctions on a unit of the IDF (Israel Defence Forces) – I will fight it with all my strength,” Netanyahu said in a statement.

Israeli war cabinet minister Benny Gantz, a centrist former armed forces chief, said in a statement on Sunday he spoke with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and asked him to reconsider the matter.

The State Department said Blinken spoke with Gantz and Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant about Israel’s security, efforts to ensure the conflict in Gaza does not spread and the need for an immediate ceasefire and increased flow of humanitarian aid to civilians in Gaza. The US statements did not mention sanctions.

Gantz said any such sanctions would be a mistake because they would harm Israel’s legitimacy during a time of war and that they were unjustified because Israel has an independent justice system and a military that keeps international law.

Blinken on Friday said he had made “determinations” regarding accusations that Israel violated a set of US laws that prohibit providing military assistance to individuals or security force units that commit gross violations of human rights.

Earlier this week, the Pro Publica investigative news organisation reported that a special State Department panel known as the Israel Leahy Vetting Forum had recommended months ago to Blinken that multiple Israeli military and police units be disqualified from receiving US aid, after allegations of human rights violations.

The incidents that were the subject of allegations took place in the West Bank and mostly occurred before Israel’s war with Hamas in Gaza began, the outlet said.

Before the Gaza war, violence had already been on the rise in the West Bank, land that the Palestinians seek for a state, and it has risen since with frequent Israeli raids, Palestinian street attacks and settler rampages in Palestinian villages.

With Reuters

AP