Warriors hand coach key to the city as record looms
Scott Bailey |
Andrew Webster is set to become the Warriors’ longest-serving coach, after inking a mammoth extension that will keep him at the club until the end of 2032.
With the Warriors fighting for their first top-two finish in 24 years, officials confirmed on Thursday that Webster had been handed a four-year extension in New Zealand.
The deal makes him the only NRL coach locked down into the 2032 season, and will extend his tenure to 10 years at the club.

Webster already holds the highest win percentage of any Warriors coach, while only Ivan Cleary will have taken the club to more finals series by the end of this season.
“It’s humbling to be able to secure my future here for this long,” Webster said.
“I’m super proud every game I get to be a head coach in the NRL. It’s a dream, and to do it with this club and these players is extra special.
“I love this club, I have the greatest belief in what we can achieve, and I’m excited knowing I’m going to be here until 2032. I’m so grateful to have this opportunity.”
In Webster’s four seasons in charge of the Warriors, he has overseen a rapid evolution of the club’s roster via their junior ranks, with just five players remaining from 2022.
“From the moment he started with us, Andrew showed what a tremendous fit he was for the club,” Warriors CEO Cameron George said.
“Since then he has gone on to become one of the best head coaches in the NRL right now.

“He has galvanised us, setting in place a sustainable culture throughout the entire club.
“What he has also done is to turn good players into better players and to bring through some of the most exciting young players this club has ever seen.”
The Warriors have South Sydney, Newcastle and Manly on the run home, and will likely need to win all three to topple Penrith and claim second spot.
They do so with some level of “spinal surgery” against the Rabbitohs on Saturday, without their first-choice fullback and the inexperienced Luke Hanson at No.6.
The Warriors hope to have Te Maire Martin (calf) back in the halves by season’s end, with fellow playmakers Luke Metcalf (hamstring) and Tanah Boyd (knee) also down.
Fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad will also return from suspension for the final-round match against Manly, with Taine Tuaupiki having regularly replaced him this year.

Meanwhile, South Sydney are set to keep Latrell Mitchell on ice for one more week, instead of bringing him back against the Warriors.
Mitchell has not played since round 10 while managing nerve damage, but was named in the No.22 jersey for Souths this week.
He is expected to face the Titans next Saturday, giving him a two-week lead-in to the finals.
AAP