Swans under investigation over alleged sexual assault

Anna Harrington and Darren Walton |

The AFL club has confirmed several players were involved in an alleged incident after the MCG win.
The AFL club has confirmed several players were involved in an alleged incident after the MCG win.

Several Sydney Swans players are being investigated over an alleged sexual assault in Melbourne.

Victoria Police on Monday said they were investigating a report of sexual assault, as Sydney confirmed several Swans players were involved in an “alleged incident”.

Police attended the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday after an incident in the early hours of that morning.

Pullman
The Sydney Swans stayed the night at the Pullman in East Melbourne following their MCG win. (Jay Kogler/AAP PHOTOS)

The Swans stayed at the hotel on Sunday night after their 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG that locked in second place on the ladder and a home qualifying final.

On Monday afternoon, Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich addressed the media in Sydney and again confirmed players had been involved in an “alleged incident”, but didn’t offer further details.

“We can confirm that several players were involved in an alleged incident last night in Melbourne,” Pavlich said.

“We’ve identified this to the AFL that we are working with them and also the relevant authorities on this matter.

“We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing.

“But safe to say that we’re extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.

“We understand the level of interest in the matter and there’d be lots of speculation but given it’s a police matter right now, that is all that we can say.”

Pavlich was then asked whether anyone was actually arrested.

“As I said, it’s a police matter ongoing. I’m not going to comment any further on it right now,” Pavlich said.

Police had earlier confirmed they were investigating a report of sexual assault.

“Police are investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on 17 August,” Victoria Police said in a statement provided to AAP.

“The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning.

“The exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing.”

AAP has contacted the AFL for comment.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028

AAP