Taukeiaho turns negotiator as new Manly deal looms
Scott Bailey |

Siua Taukeiaho has put the next step of his unlikely NRL comeback in his own hands, joining a small list of players to negotiate their own contracts.
One of the feel-good stories at Brookvale this year, Taukeiaho is closing in on a one-year extension at the Sea Eagles after returning from the English Super League.
Sacked by Catalans and after failing a medical at Canterbury, Taukeiaho arrived at Manly on a train-and-trial deal worth $1200 a week last summer.
He did enough to impress and earn a one-year contract on a minimum NRL wage of $135,000, before starting in all 19 games he has played this year.

One of the best middles in the NRL when at the Sydney Roosters from 2014-22, Taukeiaho was looked after by veteran agent Darryl Mather before the manager’s 2023 retirement.
But after largely handling his own deal earlier this year, Taukeiaho revealed he is now leading his talks with Manly management for an upgraded contract for 2026.
In doing so he joins a rare group of players to handle their own contracts, with Connor Watson and Adam Doueihi both having done so in the recent past.
“I pretty much just sit down and negotiate. We go back and forth with money and hopefully we can come to an agreement,” Taukeiaho said.
“It is hard for me to talk to other clubs.
“If I was going to talk to a coach, I’d just ring them and try to be straight.
“And they’re pretty honest as well on if there is room or if they see there’s potential of going there.
“But I’m loving it here, I’m comfortable here and I’m enjoying my time. (Manly) have given me an opportunity to come back to the game. I would love to sort something out.”

Managing his own affairs is nothing new for Taukeiaho in everyday life, given he also completes his own mechanical work on his car.
On the field, the 33-year-old has shown he is far from broken down after vindicating the lifeline Manly threw his way.
“I’m always confident with my game. But it was just more about can I keep up with the speed of the game?” Taukeiaho said.
“I was watching it when I was over in Super League and I knew it was getting faster and faster every year.
“But I felt like I had a good pre-season … I lost a bit of weight.
“And I felt like I blended straight in into the game. I feel like I haven’t left.”
Taukeiaho said he expected the new deal to be done with Manly at the end of their season.
How soon that comes remains to be seen.
Last week’s flogging of the Dolphins has at least given Manly hope, but they need to beat St George Illawarra on Saturday and have results go their way to stay alive for a spot in the top eight.
“We needed that last week, but we’ve got to go again, we’ve got to back it up,” Taukeiaho said.
AAP